Monday, June 8, 2009

Reflections of post-graduation and why I chose econ

It's been about a month since graduation, and so far, life is good! While I was in school, I would spend 4 days of my week in Bloomington and then 3 days in Indianapolis. Even when I was in Indianapolis, I was spending most of my time at the office or working events. I always had my stuff in a duffle bag, so nothing was ever stable.

Now I'm done jetting back and forth from Bloomington and Indianapolis,and I love it! It's wonderful to know that my clothing, makeup,and toiletries are always in the same place. It's also great to sleep in the same bed every night, and I also get to forgo the bus trip to campus!

Working full time has also been truly rewarding. Right now, I'm working on improving our training program in hopes that our clients will have more faith in our new hires! Meanwhile,I'm also doing more to develop the event planning company that I've wanted to start for quite some time. Stay tuned for the website!

In terms of study, I am not really using my degree-at least not to its full potential. I began college as a Spanish major and switched taking an economics course at Xavier. At that point, I knew I wanted to study business, and I knew that if I wanted to go to a top-tier business school, it wouldn't be at Xavier. Not sure if I wanted to study economics or not, I decided to enroll in the business school at IU and kept my options open. I think I considered almost all of the majors in the business school except for the technology degree from accounting, to finance, to marketing, and then I finally came full circle and decided on economics. As an economics major, I knew that I had a few options for employment: I could do management consulting (as I almost did!), I could go to graduate school and pursue a masters in economics and perhaps then go for a PhD so that I could teach, I could work for the government in policy making, I could go to law school (which I alsmost did), or I could work for myself.

As graduation neared and Aaron and I discussed it further, we decided to both work for the company because we loved what we did, we had the support from our parents, we had not grown accustomed to income from a full time job, and we did not need health insurance yet. I'm so glad we did it, because we get to ride together to work, we get to take our dog with us every day as well, and we're slowly but surely building a (hopefully successful) business that provides individuals with jobs that they otherwise would not have.

No comments: