Friday, July 10, 2009

Fun, fun, summer!

So, Aaron and I finally took the plunge....and became official volunteers at the FACE low-cost spay/neuter clinic!

We are SO PUMPED!

We're starting Monday, and we cannot wait! Our job will be cleaning out the cages that housed the animals who have been spayed and neutered. So, although it's not the most glamorous job and really will not involve hanging out with any animals, we really admire those who work at the clinic for all that they do. (I've never been so excited to clean up poo and pee in my life!) Usually, the surgeons and vet techs arrive at 7am and leave at 7pm. Aaron and I are hoping that we'll be able to alleviate some of the stress on the staff by going in a couple of days a week after work.

Amazingly, they've performed almost 7,000 surgeries this year, and to date, they've performed about 109,000! I wish that Indianapolis required spaying and neutering. It would be wonderful if were were a "no-kill" city by becoming a "no-birth" city through legislation. Hamilton county already enacted this law, and I'm sure there is still no shortage of companion animals there either.

Please practice your ABC's: animal birth control!











For a change of pace, I've been really inspired by one of our staff members. There's a guy who works for us named Ricky who stops by our office a couple of times a week after he gets off of work to get more work. He's never missed an event that I know of, and he's always excited to accept work that we offer to him. We've also never had a complaint about his perfomance. This week, when he stopped by our office, we told him about the event that we are working in Lexington, KY, and he was so genuine in his excitement. He was so eager to work a lot of hours that this event would promise, and he also perceived this event as a vacation!

This staff member makes my job enjoyable, and he makes me feel guilty for grumbling and complaining about working a lot. I really think we should take this guy out to lunch to say thanks for the attitude adjustment.

No comments: