Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A happier blog post!

Have I told you about the most recent addition in my life? Although we haven't given her a name yet (we just haven't thought of the perfect one!), Aaron and I are fostering a small rabbit. She's such a cutie! Her colors are white with orange spots, and she's got a brown mouth. We've set up her cage to share a wall with our bunny Mimzy who is not at all cool with another bunny in HER house! We are hoping that we can adopt the rabbit out to a loving family that will take good care of her.

I think the Humane Society expresses it well when it says: "Rabbits may be easy to love, but they're not quite as easy to care for." I've learned so much with welcoming Mimzy in our life. We began buying pellet food and wood chips for her litter (yes! rabbits can be potty trained!) because it they were cheap and readily available. We learned later on, however, that pellets are really only for meat rabbits, that we should have been feeding her Timothy hay all along, and that wood chips (no matter what kind of wood), are not good for litter because of her fragile repiratory system.

I'll be updating about the bun if anything should change with her status.

Aaron and I also volunteered at FACE last night for the first time. We cleaned out the cages and got to know the staff a little bit. It's been a while since either of us have volunteered, and it felt great. I'm really looking forward to going back next week, and I hope that the little assistance we can give them.

No comments: