Thursday, July 8, 2010

Just got my wedding dress

I chose to have a wedding dress handmade for me through a woman I met through etsy.com. It's a fairly simple design, made with cotton with a black satin sash, and it was made to fit my body. The woman did a fantastic job crafting it.

As an overall plan, I've had no interest in being a part of the so called "wedding industrial complex" that sucks brides into thinking their cake has to cost a small fortune and their invitations must be calligraphied by hand. Note that I said as an overall plan; on occasion, I will (shamefully) drift to theknot.com or look through pictures of friends who are married or local couples who have hired the same photographer, and I start to feel uncomfortable with some of the details surrounding our wedding.

But then I think about the end vision that we have in mind for our wedding. We want community, connection, and a true representation of our love. While the beaded gowns and imported flowers may be beautiful, the contribute in no way to the vision we have. We want to avoid a complicated, overly orchestrated event that is too focused on consumerism. We want to spend quality time with all of our guests.

When it's all said and done, I want to be sure that every detail that is planned has a purpose and fit within the vision and goals that we've established, and that may not mean spending thousands of dollars on floral arrangements. And I'm alright with that.

No comments: