Sunday, July 4, 2010

Seeking refuge from the fireworks

I'm the scrooge of Independence Day. Trust me, I'm all for having tomorrow off from work, but I'm not keen on my reckless neighbors having a huge arsenal of flaming rockets. Plus, we've been hearing fireworks since May, so by now, I'm kind of over them.

So, I'm hanging out inside, waiting for them to stop and hoping that they don't burn my house down. Ok, so maybe a bit dramatic, but I hate finding the remnants from the crap they shoot off in my vegetable garden.

I get that we should be happy that our nation was founded some 200 years ago, but are the fireworks necessary? There are so many examples of emergency room visits because of burns due to stupidity or faulty fireworks. More stray animals are picked up during the week of the 4th than any other week of the year because animals run scared. And what about young children whose parents are trying to put them to bed?

Not to be unpatriotic, but I could do without the Independence Day festivities.

Bah Humbug

1 comment:

AMFM said...

I could not agree more! Isn't there something else we could do? Like... read a nice quiet story so we can all get some flippin' sleep! People were shooting off fireworks well past midnight around here last night... Bah humbug, indeed!