Thursday, November 20, 2008

I am now a yellow belt!

As you might have guessed from the title, I passed my yellow belt test! I was up until about 2:30 the night before because I was so worried about the exam, and I had good reason to be. The class I'm taking did not cover one portion of the test, so I went to club to learn it, and I only had about 15 minutes to learn it because I had to go to a group meeting.

The day of the exam, I re-learned the drill just a few minutes before the start, and although I did make some mistakes, those were forgiven, and all four of us passed! It was just as nerve-wracking as an academic test, but I can say that it was a very good experience.

I feel like I have learned enough in the short time I've taken self-defense to protect myself, so I highly recommend trying it out for yourself! Even Ellen DeGeneres is taking a crack at it. If you are a fan of the Ellen show, you know that months ago, she had Chris Matthews (political commentator) as a guest on her show, and as usual, she was dancing with him and the rest of the audience. While they were dancing, he started to spin her around, she slipped, and he tried to keep her from falling and reached his arms around her and accidently grabbed her in the chest!

The clip got a lot of attention on the show; she showed a bra that set off an alarm if touched and other protective clothing, but she also learned some self-denfense on the show. She would hold up her hands in front of her body and yell, "No, Chris Matthews!" "Get away Chris Matthews!"

Of course, you'd have to see it for yourself, so check out this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPmHrOv-A5Q

No comments: