Thursday, April 2, 2009

Product review-some great cruelty-free products!

As you may have read, I am passionate about animal welfare. I love it! I've done a lot of homework regarding companies that do testing on animals, and I have found substitutes for nearly all of the products that I used previously. I thought I would pass some of this information along and provide a few reviews for some products for your use.

Just to introduce the idea of animal testing, this type of test is not required by the FDA prior to a product being launched. Rabbits and rats are force-fed products like hairspray or foundation. This is done to see what concentration of the product will kill the animal. These products are also rubbed into their eyes and of course, they cannot try to relieve the irriation. Their skin is burned, and the live in small cages for the duration of their painful lives. Interested in learning how you can help? Read on!

If you'd like to check out specific products or brands are tested on animals, check out caringconsumer.com. Some of the main companies to look out for: Proctor and Gamble, Unilever, Colgate-Palmolive, Melaluca, Schering-Plough, and others. These companies market many products like covergirl, ivory soap, colgate, crest, and others.

Cruel Cosmetics: Covergirl, L'Oreal, Maybelline, and Rimmel
Alternatives: Revlon, Avon, Almay, Bonne Belle, NYC, Clinique, Jane, Wet n' Wild, Elizabeth Arden, and others.

Cruelty-free cosmetics that I have tried:

Mascaras: Revlon mascara: Revlon Fabulash--I've been using this mascara for a couple of days now, and I love it! I tried Almay's one-coat mascara, and I was NOT very pleased. Whenever I took the mascara off, I felt like my eyelashes were gummy. I used to use Covergirl mascaras, and I loved them, so I was a little nervous about finding a great alternative. The Revlon Fabulash mascara (I don't use waterproof) is great if you like to curl your eyelashes, and my lashes look so thick!

Foundation: I really like the Almay clear complexion foundation. It covers really well, stays on all-day, and it helps fight acne. I also use NYC (New York Color) which is sooo cheap, and I think it has better staying power than the Maybelline foundations that I have used. Jane (found at Walgreens) is also a great foundation. It has sunscreen, juniper, aloe, and some other great things for your skin.

Eyeshadows: Revlon's and Jane's have great staying power, but for a cheap thrill, try Wet n' Wild. I previously used Covergirl

Eyeliner: Although I haven't run out of my covergirl eyeliner yet, I'm planning to try Revlon or Wet n' Wild

For hygiene products like shampoo, hair styling products, deodorants, conditioners, fragrances, try Avon. It is really cheap, and if an Avon representative delivers the products to you (at your door!), you do not pay any shipping.

For cleaning products, try a brand called Bio-Kleen. It can be found at Kroger.

Just switching products can do so much to help improve animals' lives and is so easy.


No comments: