Thursday, September 3, 2009

Getting married in about a year...geez!

Tomorrow is September 4th which will be a year out from our wedding.

Working in the wedding industry certainly provides a different perspective on your own wedding for sure. I've become jaded towards them because I've seen so many cookie-cutter weddings that get cranked out on a weekly basis. In fact, the whole planning process kind of nauseates me. I've worked many weddings that were a complete cheese-fest, filled with fake sentiments and inflated guest lists.

Weddings also create unnecessary friction among families and friends. My parents and I are already disagreeing on the guest list. I want a small wedding so that I can actually talk to everyone and avoid feeling like I'm on stage for a performance, but they want everyone under the sun to "help us celebrate." The truth is, I really only want to invite people who have actually been a part of our lives and will likely be in our lives after we tie the knot. I could care less about the gifts that these extra people might bring. So what? I don't even want to register for gifts. I really don't need anything, and I'm constantly trying to weed out items of my that are not joyful, useful, or beautiful. I'd rather set up a charity "registry" and give to the Humane Society or to the FACE clinic.

I'm also pretty turned off by all of the usual rituals that are standard protocol that I'd prefer not to follow.

Here's an idea of what I would like to avoid:
1. Cake-I'm still doing cake I guess, but how about a wedding brownie a la mode instead?


















2. The whole bouquet thing--I probably won't be tossing, and I'd rather not even carry flowers. Since Aaron and I are veg-heads, how about a veggie bouquet? Or fruit perhaps?















3. The garter toss - there is NO WAY this is happening
4. Awkward dancing - I've worked too many weddings and been embarrassed for the guests, the bride, the groom, and the families. IF I have any dancing at, it will all be really chill music for slow dancing and will not deafen the guests.
5. A church wedding - while I don't see anything wrong with getting married in a church - I considered it - I won't be following this tradition as my parents would probably prefer. Aaron and I are getting married on a balcony overlooking the canal downtown! How cool is that?
6. Traditional pictures - I want some quirky, artsy photos. Who cares if heads are cut off! It's art! Also, I will likely not plaster my wedding photos all over the internet. Are people really that interested anyway? Those who actually want to see the wedding pictures will have been invited and will get access to them anyway.
7. NO MEAT!
8. I will not be wearing a dress with a 20 foot long piece of fabric dragging behind me. I would like be able to move, please.
9. Animals will be the guests of honor.
10. I will be wearing my hair short-just like I do all the time : )

In short, this will not be me:

No comments: